Trésors du Paradis
This double CD is both a celebration and a call for the future of church music. Many musical establishments suffered at the hands of the pandemic and Lincoln's choir was no exception. By coming together around this awe-inspiring music, we reset after the pandemic and look forward to better things.
In Durufle's Requiem, we mourn those we lost.
In Yves Castagnet's Messe Salve Regina, we find an expansive work which includes two organs and a choir to match them. This is truly a celebration of our ability to gather together again.
We finish with a recording debut of Jonathan Dove's Treasures in Heaven, and two more of Dove's established works. In the a moto perpetuo musical style, there is a parallel with the perpetual motion of the world, where things change for good and ill.
"I am delighted with this recording, especially the contrast between the earthly sound and the heavenly sound. There is a wonderful breadth to the singing of the opening melody, suggesting the mass of humanity, while the evocation of treasures in heaven is beautifully ethereal.
Thank you, Matthew Foster and the choir of Lincoln College, Oxford, for going to the heart of this piece!"
- Jonathan Dove
1. Durufle: Requiem: I. Introit
2. Requiem: II. Kyrie
3. Requiem: III. Domine Jesu Christe (Offertory)
4. Requiem: IV. Sanctus & Benedictus
5. Requiem: V. Pie Jesu
6. Requiem: VI. Agnus Dei
7. Requiem: VII. Lux Aeterna (Communion)
8. Requiem: VIII. Libera Me
9. Requiem: IX. In Paradisum
10. Dove: Gloria (from Missa Brevis)
11. Treasures in Heaven
12. Seek Him that Maketh the Seven Stars
1. Castagnet: Messe Salve Regina: I. Kyrie
2. Messe Salve Regina: II. Gloria
3. Messe Salve Regina: III. Sanctus
4. Messe Salve Regina: IV. Agnus dei